Members of the Grassroots Mobilisation for Buhari on Monday, December 3, announced their defection to the Peoples Democratic Party from the All Progressives Congress (APC) in support of the opposition's presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar.
The support group members while announcing their defection said the APC-led administration had failed on the promises made to Nigerians before the 2015 general elections.
Speaking at a press briefing in Abuja, the national coordinator for the Grassroots Mobilisation for Buhari, Yusuf Ardo, said the group had toured Nigeria and campaigned for the emergence of the APC in the 2015 general elections.
Ardo said: "This Forum coordinated all support groups for APC and championed Grassroots Mobilizations of Nigerians. Sequel to the foregoing, we are sad, that the government we put in place has failed and continues to fail our people; we cannot continue to reinforce failures."
He also said that Nigeria cannot have a federal cabinet without a single youth even as it is well known that the future of every country belongs to the young people.
"Today, our country is faced with legions of challenges, our economy that was the fastest-growing in Africa has gone comatose under the present government that has shown unprepared and completely clueless.
"In the area of security challenges which the APC led Government leveraged on in 2015 to take over power, despite its claims of a technical defeat, Nigerians are attacked and killed by unknown gunmen daily, while kidnapping is now on the rise, farmlands are being destroyed and abandoned across the country," he added.
Ardo said that the unity of Nigeria was being threatened due to nepotism and religious bigotry while unemployment had risen since the emergence of President Muhammadu Buhari as president in 2015.
He said: "Today we are pleased to inform the whole world that in our plan to officially renounce our membership of GMB and APC, few weeks ago we were harassed, intimidated and reported to the Inspector General of Police by some Unscrupulous element in the confused APC, today as I speak to you now, we have directed our legal team to file a suite in the federal High court on our fundamental human rights.
"We acknowledge His Excellency Alhaji Atiku Abubakar GCON, have been part of Nigeria's leadership dialogue and struggle for long, you have worked with great men of ideas and substance who have led this country since inception and have the rare benefit of knowing how Nigeria functioned and know the best options before us and the hard choices we have to make to get Nigeria work again.
"We believe Nigeria under Atiku, our economy will be revived and returned to the part of progress that it was before we had the misfortune of having these clueless people in power. We strongly believe that Atiku will ensure diversification of the economy through Agriculture, adequate supply of power, massive industrialization, thereby creating employment for our teaming youths," Ardo added.
Also speaking at the event, the national publicity secretary of the group, Nathaniel Isa, said Nigeria needs Atiku for liberation.
Isa said: "President Buhari has not been able to create any job, just because of election they have been going around from market to market sharing N10,000.
"This government is full of lies and propaganda, there has not been not one single good thing from the present administration. Nigeria and its people have come of age to know the kind of leaders they want in power. I want to assure us that a vote for Atiku is a vote for the good for Nigerians."
Meanwhile, Legit.ng previously reported that the reasons Atiku did not travel to the United States of America had been revealed.
Sources within Atiku's camp said although the PDP's presidential candidate had been issued a visa, his inability to head to the US followed the launching of his campaign.
According to a source, Atiku could not afford to miss the launch of the opposition party's campaign which held on Monday, December 3.