Ikokwu Four: Third Prosecution Witness Cross-Examined By Defence, Alleges Brutality

The third prosecution witness in the case of alleged murder and brutality brought against three dismissed policemen and woman who was cross-examined told a Port-Harcourt High Court that himself as well as four other Ikokwu mechanics were allegedly tortured by police.

The third prosecution witness Victor Ogbonna was being cross-examined by counsel to third defendant, Barrister Kingston Nwinee, on Tuesday at the trial presided by High Court judge Honourable Justice Florence Fiberesima.

Ogbonna said during cross-examination that hammer was used over his body apart from his face.

Asked by counsel if they were not tortured equally the witness said that they were not tortured equally.

He said he saw how one of the victims, Chima Ikwunado, who allegedly died in detention was treated and how himself was also treated.

The witness said during cross-examination that one of the defendants had allegedly touched the genitals of Ikwunado who allegedly died while under police detention.

He said the deceased complained of pain in his genitals while under detention.

Asked if Ikwunado told only him of the pain the witness said although he did not tell him he shouted about the pain and was heard by everyone in the cell.

He said he does not know whether Ikwunado’s death was as a result of the pain or alleged torture by police.

The five mechanics Victor Ogbonna, Chima Onyekwere, Chima Ikwunado, Victor Osaze and Osaze Friday were arrested on December 19, 2019 by policemen attached to the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) for allegedly driving against traffic and taken to Mile One Police Station.

While there, they were allegedly tortured leading to death of one of the mechanics.

The three dismissed policemen and woman face five counts of alleged murder and act with intent to maim.

The dismissed policemen and woman: Ayogu Fidelis, Eke Chibuzor, Egbunafu Felix and Rose Georgewill who were in court on Tuesday for the trial were first arraigned at magistrate court by Rivers State Police Command before the case was taken over by Rivers State Government and the case moved to High Court.

There had been outrage on social media calling for justice for the victims of the alleged brutality.

Speaking at a previous interview one of the counsel Barrister Kingston Nwinee had said the allegation against his client needed to be proved.

The presiding judge on Tuesday adjourned the case to 20 and 27 July for continuation of hearing.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button